Wednesday 2pm- 5pm in B45
Dr Judith Glover is a lecturer in Industrial Design specialising in teaching social and sustainable design with a particular expertise in gender and sexuality, the craft/ design nexus, and design for batch production. With a background in the metal trades and industrial design, her particular focus of practice currently is with ceramic production. Her PHD topic focused on the role that Industrial Design processes and methods could play in the future of socio-sexual behaviour and technology through the creation of safer, higher-quality sex toys for contemporary female consumers.
Judith is interested in supervising projects that have either a strong material and process exploration or socio-cultural agenda and that relate to: object design and the craft/design nexus (and particularly ceramic production that explores traditional techniques with new twists of technology and materials); projects that look to explore gender, sexuality or sexual commodities; projects that explore socio-cultural scenarios such as ‘narrative’ through a continual making process; and, projects that focus on design in developing products for batch production.
Current Research Activities
- Glass fines project for Melbourne Design Week 2020. Construction of a Terracotta wall system with mycelium and glass fines insulation inserts.
- Sex and Disability. Contract research projects to enable sex positive practice for People with Disability.
- Wearable and Sensing Network. Cross disciplinary network or Industry and RMIT researchers focusing on Health, Ageing and Sustainability
- BirdLife Australia.New material innovation for floating migratory bird roosts.
- Radiation Gown. Cross disciplinary research. Material Innovation
- Cubex 41 Germany- looking at Design interventions into Meditech Innovation
- Intersections of new and traditional production processes
- Material and process exploration within Batch production/ Designer maker fields- in particular Ceramics or metal (blacksmithing anyone?)
- Design as Narrative (as a way of developing concept) into batch production processes
- Sexual Health- sex toys or sexual health/ gender orientated projects- Product or Product Service System outcomes